Do you love hockey, skating, and ice? You might be the part-time employee we’re looking for! The City of Marquette has positions available for seasonal Skate Guards at the Lakeview Arena. In this position you will spend lots of time at Lakeview Arena helping others enjoy the ice while you’re enjoying a fun job! Must be available to work evenings and weekends. Starting and ending dates for the positions are variable. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
POSITION TITLE: Parks & Recreation Skate Guard
REPORTS TO: Parks and Recreation Coordinator
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 3, 2022
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Seasonal/Temporary
Works under general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Coordinator. The Skate Guard provides general custodial services, operational support, and maintenance for Parks & Recreation facilities. Also, performs public skate operations and supervision as scheduled.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any of the following: (these examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Perform general custodial and maintenance duties in support of the directing supervisor or event. May include setup and tear down for special events, providing support for specific tasks of the facility supervisor, locker room and restroom cleaning, general custodial duties, etc.
- Perform all tasks for public skate support. Includes rental skate operations, behavioral supervision, customer service, operating cash till, and balancing cash box at the end of a shift.
- Report accidents, emergencies, scheduling problems, and building repair and maintenance needs to the appropriate City staff person.
- Keep all doorways and walkways clear of ice and snow.
- Open, maintain, and close various Parks & Recreation facilities for various rental events during the winter months.
- Exercise proper safety precautions in the performance of work, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment, machine guards, and safe work procedures.
- Work hours and assignments may vary and will include some weekend shifts with a maximum of 40 hours per week. Term of employment is seasonal and may not exceed six (6) months.
Perform other related functions as assigned.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Ice edger and Ice Scraper/Chipper if necessary for ice maintenance.
- Various cleaning supplies with required protection.
- Snow blower, shovel, and sidewalk salt for snow and ice removal.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Must maintain satisfactory working relationships with public officials, the general public and other City employees.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Physical strength and dexterity to perform strenuous work involving lifting and carrying moderately heavy objects.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license and good driving record.
- Ability to communicate orally in a clear manner.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and materials used.
- Basic skating ability preferred.
- Basic cash handling skills required.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of climate and weather conditions. Ability to withstand temperature changes in the work environment.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds maximum with assistance of another person, and frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Frequent bending, squatting, twisting climbing and reaching.
- Occasional sitting and driving.
- Ability to distinguish various sounds and people or objects at varied distances.
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated on this job description.